Adding a reverse proxy for OpenURL is one of the things that I considered essential when I worked at a university library; I wonder now if this is something that others do.
What’s a reverse proxy? E.g. passing all OpenURL requests to
rather than to
Thinking back, we had some discussion about this, it wasn’t immediately clear whether we’d implement it:
- Simple, effective management of OpenURL irrespective of service provider
- Control OpenURLs formulation & interpretation
- Gather statistics locally
- Simple migration between providers
- Present users with a uniform, institutional URL
- It involves doing something that isn’t strictly necessary
- Single point of failure
- Increased dereference time
I suppose I belong a generation that worried about things like this; maybe no one cares about the weird URLs and overhead of swapping them come crunch time.